If you want to plan a trip in a foreign country for business or for pleasure, it is important to take into account that each country has its own culture.For you to have a good holiday, when you research the place where you want to go and the things that you want to do, it is also good for you to research to have a better knowledge about the local culture, customs and appropriate behaviour for that country. Thus, you will have the pleasure to understand better the local people and why they do or say some specific things that you are not used tot. In the case you need to go on a business trip, to understand the local customs of the place you are going is a very important thing, because by understanding this, just a small gesture can guarantee your success.
For your business trip to have your expected result, here are some local customs from different countries:
- If you go to Finland, you can expect that a business meeting can take place in a sauna, this is a local tradition and it is considered a sign a hospitality.
- If you go to the middle East, like in the United Arab Emirates it is very impolite to give some documents or to shake hands with your left hand. There the left hand it is used just for body’s hygiene.
- The italian people are very well known for being very warm and friendly and that is why if you want to do business with them you have to form a bound first. They are very focused on the relations between people, and this is why if you try to go right to business you have all the chances the it will fail.
- If you go to Brazil, you should be prepared for a lot a physical connection when you talk to someone from there. They like to stay very close to the person they are speaking with, to look into their eyes and to touch them as a sign of understanding.
- The german people are very different from the italians, they like to treated with respect and talk directly about business, because they do not want to waste time speaking about the weather.
- In Japan one very important custom is the exchanging of the business cards. You have to remember to have some business cards in your pocket that are translated in the japanese language.You should give on while holding it with both hands, this applies also when you receive one and you should also bow as a sign of gratitude.
- For the australien people it is very important to be on time.If you are late to the meeting you have very high chances to lose that deal.
- If you go to South Korea, you have to be prepared to go to karaoke and demonstrate how good you really are.
In case you want to go on a holiday just to relax and have fun, we have some tips for you also :
- In Russia you will be greated with lots of vodka shots,this is a good way to break the ice and form some nice friendships
- In France it is customary to kiss someone on the cheek even if that person is a good friend or he / she is a person that you meet for the first time;
- In the USA it is a very important custom to leave a tip at a restaurant and you enjoy the food or the service, but if you do this in South Korea it is considered very offensive to do this;
- In Denmark it is very common to go for a walk or to enjoy a picnic in a cemetery;
- If you do not have an idea for a christmas present you should know that in Iceland there is a national custom to give a book as a gift and to spend time with friends and family while reading it on Christmas eve.
If you enjoyed learning about different customs from different countries or if you want to share other ones that you learned from your travels please leave us a comment.
Written by OANABI